After a flood of inquiries, four or even five, I have decided it is best to share with Partisan readers the explanation for the recently slow flow of mirth and enlightenment from those who have brought you the Monterey Bay Partisan for close to three years now. It is a simple ankle injury. Well, not so simple, perhaps. It is a major sprain and a break of a sort that required surgery a week ago. The culprit was a car that opted to enter the crosswalk while it was already occupied by me and my wife, whose injury has caused her just as much pain and suffering without resulting in as much complaint.

Never fear, or do fear. We will return. We are currently on assignment, probing the vagaries of Monterey County planning policy and in the not too distant future there will be other works to entertain or confound. It’s just that, well, we were never particularly quick or agile,  and time we might have spent poring over campaign expense reports is now spent studying precautions against deep vein thrombosis.

In the meantime, please feel encouraged, as always, to submit your own writings, particularly those about local affairs, and we will see what we can do to keep this operation hobbling forward. calkinsroyal@gmail.com is the place to send them.

Cheers

• Jim Lynch May 18, 2017, 8:54 am

Royal, best wishes for a speeding and complete recover for both you and your wife.

• david fairhurst May 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Get well and recover soon.
    I always knew that you were such a prolific writer that you needed all 5 of your appendages (or your “extremities”) to write with. Yep, I can imagine you with a laptop at each hand, pencils held in your toes making corrections and of course a tape recorder taking dictation for yet another Partisan piece.

• Tom May 18, 2017, 9:10 am

Ouch!! Have a speedy (and painless, hopefully!) recovery.

• Kristina Baer May 18, 2017, 9:13 am

Hold on, hang on, rest, rest, rest. And more rest. As you do not lack inspiration or insight, your R&R&R (and more R) will offer you plenty of time to sharpen the knives, hone the ax, and prepare to dazzle us (when you’re ready) with more precious behind-the-scenes, on the shoulders of history, commentary on our piece of paradise and those who mind its bells and whistles.

Heal well and completely, both of you.

• Beverly G Bean May 18, 2017, 9:20 am

Dear Royal,
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you both…I have found physical therapy very helpful for most types of orthopedic injury..Damon Anderson PT is my go-to.

• Jim darling May 18, 2017, 9:31 am

Royal, my sympathies. Being an amputee for over 28 years, if you need any tips on crutch useage, I’m here for you!

• Louis MacFarland May 18, 2017, 9:34 am

Royal, I would lend you one of my ankles if I could, but I know full well, even as a one legged man, you can still kick butt.

• bill leone May 18, 2017, 9:44 am

Royal, Call, text, or email me if you need some help hobbling around. I want to keep you in good shape, so I don’t lose my MCDCC Alternate (again). (831-521-1055)

• Myrleen Fisher May 18, 2017, 9:47 am

OHMYGOSH&GOLLY–I just assumed I’d been dropped from the email list (again). I’m so happy to hear that you and your wife survived with relatively minor injuries! Although battered, you won! But I don’t make light of ankle injuries–it took me 4 years of PT and dedication to rid myself of pain and a limp after sliding off a rock in the Grand Canyon in 2000–crushed ankle, lots of titanium. I hope your recoveries are much, much quicker. Remember to elevate the part whenever possible, just like your doc told you, I’ll bet. It’s a good time to go through your photos! Best wishes to you both.

• Lloyd Jones May 18, 2017, 10:18 am

The thralling possibility of DVT will certainly incentivize keeping a leg up.

• Dan Turner May 18, 2017, 10:25 am

Sorry that all this happened to you but I am glad to hear that you have had your surgery. One of the problems w/our insurance-run medical payment system is that the insurance companies’ haggling can result in delays in the surgery which, then, lead to a poorer result.

• Janet Collins May 18, 2017, 10:29 am

Rest, time and therapy and lots of patience…There is a light at the end of the tunnel as the saying goes…My total knee replacement was a real drill with leg up, icing many times daily and on and on..Not only inpatient therapy, but followed by outpatient therapy…So, my heart goes out to you Royal and best wishes for your recovery…I know that my lazyboy was my best friend for a while..At 85 years old it still is, but oh, what the heck…

• Linda Deutsch May 18, 2017, 10:38 am

Heal quickly, both of you. Cheery thoughts and looking forward to future posts.

• Ilene Tuttle May 18, 2017, 11:18 am

So sorry to learn of more assaults on your tough body(s)! Best wishes for a quick recovery to you both…

• Ron Weitzman May 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Brenda and Royal, Morley and I join just about everyone else (the others, if any, don’t count) in wishing you both a speedy and complete recovery. Despite the pain and inconvenience, please take this misfortune as an opportunity to escape from the rigors of work and enjoy the things that you missed for being too busy.

• Trish May 18, 2017, 12:57 pm

Miss your stories and sending you some healing energy – get well SOON!

• Richard Stott May 18, 2017, 1:25 pm

Yipes! Hope you get better soon.

• L. Parrish May 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Looks like you won’t be doing any dribbling around the Sports Center for awhile. No, I won’t be filling in for you. Your previous description of your ankle injury reminded me of one of the last times I played the game. That was back in college when a rather large oaf came down on my foot and while my body tried to move one way, my ankle didn’t want to follow that path and sort of remained beneath 200 lbs. of a size 18 tennis shoe. It took a couple of months with a cane to recover from that episode – today, I’d probably end up in the hospital. So, no, I won’t be playing.
    But, I will be rooting for you and your wife to recover as quickly and smoothly as possible. Thankfully, you can still peck away at that keyboard. Looking forward to your next installment of enlightenment. Take Care.

• Karl Pallastrini May 18, 2017, 8:45 pm

Royal…thank you for this up-date! In the absence of Partisan politics and postings…I assumed that we had returned Cal-American to public ownership. I figured that the Wharf leases were now consistent with fair market value, and the City of Carmel threw in the towel and became a part of the Pebble Beach Corporation. Alas, only to find out that a hobbled Royal leaves the tiller rudderless at the Partisan. Nothing has changed. Hopefully, the change will come in the form of your health. Get well!

• Rob Eaton May 19, 2017, 6:02 am

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you and your wife. Ankles can be tricky, heal soon.

• Joanna Greenshields May 19, 2017, 6:23 am

Dear Royal,
    I assumed you and your lovely wife were getting ready for your daughter’s graduation from college, or maybe, you were taking a long, well deserved holiday. Wishing you both a speedy, painfree recovery!

• bill hood May 19, 2017, 12:49 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the injuries sustained by your wife and yourself and the terrible way that they happened. Julie and will will keep the both of you in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Jim Guy May 20, 2017, 10:00 am

Lawsuit! Congrats on hitting the lottery. 😜

• Melodie Chrislock May 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Get some rest and get well soon. We’ll all be here when you come back.

• ENRIQUE MENDEZ FLORES May 24, 2017, 8:51 pm

If of any help I have a knee walker. While recovering from an aquiles tendon injury I bought one and it was ver helpful in order to get around. Let me know if you can use it it is brand new!