With so many grassroots organizations newly formed or revitalized in response to the new Republican order in Washington, debate over the best way to combat Donald Trump’s nonsense has become a huge deal. Vigils? Marches? Sit-ins? Letters to Congress? Active resistance? Passive resistance? Tax strikes? Strategies abound and agreement is hard to come by.

I’m generally in support of each approach, but another one came to me in a dream last night. And I feel like sharing.

How about this? All the progressives and other strong-minded people of this fine nation, we hold some bake sales, sell off some stock, cash in some 401Ks and raid the college fund and then we pool all that money together and offer it to Trump. Here’s, say, $100 million. Resign and it’s all yours.

There are downsides, of course. Some will argue that $100 million isn’t enough. Trump’s almost as rich as he thinks he is and doesn’t need the money. But hasn’t he done dirty rotten things to creditors and vendors for a lot less. Hasn’t he shown that he’ll do anything for a buck? Hmm. Step down? Let me think about it. Are we talking cash?

OK, maybe it’s illegal. Perhaps it could be interpreted as a bribe. So we launder the money. Through Mexico or Syria. Trump says it is easy to get anyone or anything over those borders. Or we don’t make it a direct tit for tat. We say the $100 million is salary for his new job as an inspirational speaker and, unfortunately, it’s a full-time gig, so goodbye White House. He’s not really comfortable there anyway. Not enough glitter.

Some will argue that the money would have been better spent on something else. I hate that argument because it could be made when money is spent on just about anything. What? You spent all that money fixing a dam?

One downside is that if Trump goes, we get Pence. Which is a real concern. But while Pence was a horrible governor of Indiana, he isn’t as sneaky as Trump and probably isn’t as dishonest. He certainly isn’t as creative, and, therefore, he isn’t as dangerous. Plus, if Pence needs to be impeached, it’s certain that he would be replaced by someone better than Pence. A few more impeachments and Elizabeth Warren would be president.

So is this suggestion serious? That’s certainly a good question, one that probably should be asked but only by someone friendly to the Monterey Bay Partisan and its mission to save ourselves from ourselves. I think the voting public is going to force Trump out of office well before his four years are up. All those GOP congressional types facing elections in two years will want him gone before then, and there’s a fine chance he will have or already has committed some high crime, the sort that gets one impeached. They tried to run Bill Clinton out of office for doing the kind of things Trump brags about. I also suspect Trump won’t be in office long after his tax returns see the light of day. The government has the originals and the Russians probably have copies.

But as backup plans go, mine isn’t the worst. The smart thing, of course, would be for the $100 million to be an illusion, bait, part of a con, so we could keep the money and use it for a national dose of Ativan. They say you can’t con an honest man, which suggests that Trump would be a particularly easy mark. Look at how Steve Bannon tricked him into naming that 31-year-old nut job from Santa Monica as special adviser. I suspect Bannon was just trying to see if Trump had any standards at all.

Either way, we’d have to cooperate, more than half the U.S. population pulling together to come up with $100 million, which is like 75 cents apiece. If the con doesn’t work, fine. Trump gets to keep the money but we’re rid of him and if Pence doesn’t work out any better, we should be able to buy him out for a lot less.

For now, we probably should keep this to ourselves. Then again, if the idea spreads, it could make it into the national press at some point, maybe even the New York Times or Washington Post, which guarantees that Trump will never see it coming.

• Bob Coble February 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

The biggest problem with this is that fact that if Trump goes, then Pence becomes president. Then if he goes, then Paul Ryan becomes president. If you check out the succession line you realize that there are an awful lot of people in the line before we would get to a GOOD person to be the next person in line to fill the office.

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

No, unless Pence goes at the same time as Trump, we get who is apporved by Congress, the way we got Gerald Ford (who was not Speaker of the House). There are reasons to keep Trump, the Number One reason is that he is a walking, talking example of why people should vote for a Democrat (or Green, or Libertarian).

I can just see Lawrence Samuels running for President…

• bill leone February 16, 2017, 5:14 pm

Let’s face it, We Are Screwed!

If we’re very lucky as a country, we will get through this with our Democracy in tact.

It’s becoming more & more evident, the people who support, apologize, or rationalize the Pimp Presidency will prove to be, with each revealing news cycle, the ill-informed, authoritarian, codependent, immature bimbos they always were.

Note: ICE Officials are rounding up families in Salinas Elementary Schools, as they come to pick up their children. (“First they came for the Socialists, but I was not a Socialist……”)

Remember the question I quoted from a NYT article during the Thanksgiving Holiday:
    “What will You do when they start rounding us up?” (written by the most well-known. most outspoken Dreamer in America)

• david fairhurst February 16, 2017, 5:57 pm

Which elementary schools in Salinas have ICE rounding up families, their children and then carting them away to who knows where? Is “ill-informed, authoritarian, co-dependent, and immature bimbos” as new insults to those that disagree with you something you came up with yourself or is it in the new “Progressive Leftist Democrat” Political action behavior booklet?

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:31 pm

Is there really a David Fairhurst? Or is this the product of too many drugs in The Sixties? Has anybody really seen him?

• Royal Calkins February 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

Yes, and yes. There really is a David Fairhurst and yes, he is the product of too many drugs in the Sixties.

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:55 pm

Then can somebody get through to him that Anna Caballero kept the Salinas libraries open, didn’t close them? And that lying in letters to the editor will send him directly to Hell, not passing Go, and not collecting $200?

• david fairhurst February 16, 2017, 10:10 pm

All I know is that another anti-Trumper rants about ICE rounding up families at schools in Salinas and I ask “which schools” and now I’m the one suffering drug flashbacks?
          Your funny, maybe a few of you can pick up some extra doses of lithium to help with all that Hilary isn’t President shock and depression.
          Sorry, never got into all that 60’s “drug” thing, after High School they sent me off into the Navy, submarines, started E3 rate, Interior Communications. After that too busy working sending “ethnic minority” wife to collage, (sorry, I forgot you all keep calling me a racist and a lot of other false things too).
          Besides someone here has to help you to understand that the World isn’t just full of daisy cups, government wonderfulness, unicorns, rainbows, and lollipops raining from the sky just for you to dance and frolic with.
          Thanks, I didn’t know The Californian published my letter. However, since you recall that past different perhaps you can help me with:
          So who was mayor of Salinas, how long had they already been in office, who was making budgets (again, for how long) before the Salinas libraries became the laughing stock of the Nation. And why was it afterwards that the glorious measure V funds weren’t needed for the Libraries. Was it a “we have to destroy the libraries before we can save them”?
          Besides what does it matter anyways, the only people on the ballots anymore in KAFKAfornia are Democrats.

• david fairhurst February 18, 2017, 5:24 pm

Anna Caballero (professional Democrat politician),
            over 27 years and the real record, please…
            Salinas City Council 1991-1998 (crime rates soar, companies/jobs leave)
            Salinas City Mayor 1998-2006 (big box stores get “special” incentives, closed the libraries (made us the laughing stock of the Nation) and a failed downtown community)
            The Failure and Closing of the Salinas Libraries was on December 2004, two years into “Anna’s” “service” as mayor and 8 years of her “service” on the city council. A “BS” “rally Salinas” and measure V (for voracious, as in tax dollars) using the threat of harm to our children (didn’t she close the youth centers too?) unless we voted yet another repressive and unnecessary tax increase.
            State Assembly 2006-2016 (and what has she accomplished there?)

• Brian Higgins February 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Can anyone cite which school/(s) ICE is rounding up families from in Salinas? As a proud conservative, I will go and defend the children and their families if someone (anyone?) can substantiate this…

• Maureen February 16, 2017, 5:42 pm

Screw that….just throw his ass out before he has a mental breakdown because he appears already on the verge.

• Helga Fellay February 16, 2017, 6:33 pm

whose ass? David’s, bill’s, Royal’s or Trump’s? Or all of them?

• John Dalessio February 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

This is garbage, Royal. Crawl into a cave for a while, and come out when you understand that both parties and both candidates were equally limited and bereft of new ideas and personal integrity. Then come up with new ideas, or recycled ideas, that might help us escape from the duality of dysfunction that infects our political processes.

• Dan Turner February 16, 2017, 6:13 pm

I agree w/John.

• Helga Fellay February 16, 2017, 6:34 pm

I agree with Dan and John.

• PT Caffey February 16, 2017, 10:36 pm

If we consider the history of kaiju, both Godzilla and Mothra were equally matched in power, yet it’s Godzilla now poised at the edge of our fragile city. Do we, from our armchairs, politely debate the “duality of dysfunction,” or do we reckon with the reality that Godzilla has begun to crush both things we treasure and people we love and is heading our way?

Timothy Snyder, a professor of history at Yale University who specializes in the history of Europe and the Holocaust, told a German newspaper the following one week ago: “You want to end on a positive note, I know; but I think things have tightened up very fast; we have at most a year to defend the Republic, perhaps less. What happens in the next few weeks is very important.”

• Rob February 16, 2017, 6:57 pm

Perhaps, however this is about the current dysfunction occupying the White House. If it were another person in the White House, the conversation might revolve around him or her. But there is not. This is about tRump. Plain and simple.

• Royal Calkins February 16, 2017, 7:08 pm

For John: Someday, perhaps when I am older and wiser, I will understand how criticism of Donald Trump amounts to an endorsement of Clinton, the Democrats, armed drones, capitalism’s corrosive influences or anything else. Here are some ideas. We start by making campaign contributions illegal. Then, when we have let a cycle or two go by, we assess how much that is helping fix things and we go from there. We need to go much farther than that, of course, but I’m afraid that will require more than sniping at others. In the meantime, don’t try to tell me that the Trump regime should not be challenged. Do you and Dan and Helga feel that targeting one bad thing somehow empowers all other bad things? I salute you for having time and energy to address the entire universe of evil at once.

• Dan Turner February 19, 2017, 12:04 pm

Its not that targeting one bad thing empowers all other bad things. Its that we’re sick and tired of having the choice of only a slightly (very slightly) better bad thing to look forward to after we get rid of the bad thing in question.

• Mar3ie February 16, 2017, 9:22 pm

and how popular is your website John? Can’t say I have run across it.

• ryan February 16, 2017, 5:51 pm

not to worry, keep your 75 cents for laundry machines. the intelligence community is gonna run him down pretty soon.

hard to say whether that’s a good thing or a terrifying thing…

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Where do you do your laundry for only seventy-five cents?

• Joanna Greenshields February 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Neil,
    I responded to you on the other page and previous topic, and now I can’t help but notice that you seem a little angry about your experiences living in this area. What happened that has you so upset?

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:33 pm

There is a very dangerous individual in Washington making the United States unsafe, Donald Trump.

• david fairhurst February 16, 2017, 10:35 pm

Yes and before Trump it was all peaches and cream dandelion greens.

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:46 pm

This gets into the value of actually seeing his tax returns. As many know, I spent a few decades doing financial analyses, and following op on various red flags. When The Trump hides his tax returns, he is hiding them for a reason. His braggadocio nature is that if he was really worth billions, he would open up the tax returns and demonstrate it. He clearly has something to hide, just what is the question.

My feeling is that he is really not worth much, maybe even a net negative. Remember, he has a reputation for stiffing contractors and employees left and right. With multiple corporations, he can shift money from one to another frequently, and there are ways to hide debts in out-or-business corporations. Corporation A can loan money to Corporation B, which loans money to Corporation C, and so on. A big shell game. Illegal as all get out, but very difficult to prove. Unfortunately, it is done all the time, sometimes unintentionally, and possibly even by somebody who reads the Partisan.

So, it is very possible that the Trump Empire is just a house of cards, just waiting to collapse. Or, maybe he is slick enough to maintain it, but his kids had better be that sliock too.

Maybe being President is a way to prop it up for the time being?

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 7:49 pm

Royal, I can’t speak for others, but I certainly need spell check!

• Neil February 16, 2017, 8:16 pm

I had some dealings with people that are very involved in the city of Salinas. These same people have extreme views on our country and I just have a hard time understanding how people aren’t outraged that there isn’t fair representation in the city government of Salinas.With that said I came to live in Monterey a few years ago. When I realized how dangerous Salinas was I was in shock actually. We lived very close to Salinas and was told by a family member to avoid Salinas. The same people who are running things in Salinas over the last few years have failed the people of Salinas. Things are worse not better. When chief McMillan retired I thought maybe a new leadership would replace these people. Unfortunately that is not the case and I believe this must happen for things to get better. Monterey county is a beautiful place with a lot of good people. But scandal at the public guardian office, scandal at the jail, problems at the millennium school, gang violence, Problems in the probate court , Monterey downs and David Potter Situation, prostitution all over Fremont street. These issues must be addressed before the people behind the scenes (puppet masters) in the city of Salinas can be taken seriously. In my opinion they have failed they are supposed to be protecting.

• Helga Fellay February 16, 2017, 10:11 pm

“prostitution all over Fremont street” ???? – I have been driving down Fremont for decades, also shop there, and the Peace Center is there, and so is the Center for Change. Why have I never seen prostitution all over? All I see is Latinas pushing their baby carriages, shoppers, some homeless people. What have I been missing? Amazing.

• James Toy February 18, 2017, 1:11 am

Prostitutes were a common sight on the Seaside portion of Fremont in the ’80s. Business dried up when Fort Ord closed.

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 8:53 pm

You mean if I look out my front door I’ll see danger?
    Reminds me of The Chicken Heart That Ate Chicago.

• Eric Petersen February 16, 2017, 8:58 pm

Just looked out the front door. No danger tonight. Must be a slow night.

• Neil February 16, 2017, 9:22 pm

Really

• Helga Fellay February 16, 2017, 10:15 pm

Neil – re: “7 murders on the 17th of February. Tracking over 50 this year.” As I am typing this, it is 10:13 PM Thursday, February 16. Yet you have already counted 7 murders you see being committed tomorrow, on the 17th. Amazing.

• Helga Fellay February 16, 2017, 10:19 pm

Neil – re: “I am in Florida it’s the 17th. My family is from Argentina.” It’s also the 16th in Florida. Right now, as it is 10:17 PM at this moment, it may well be Friday the 17th at about 1 AM for you, but I assure you that 7 murders have not been committed in Salinas within the last hour or two. By the way, it’s still only Thursday the 16th in Salinas at this moment. Sorry. And the fact that your family is from Argentina does not change these facts.

• Joanna Greenshields February 16, 2017, 10:38 pm

Of course there is nothing wrong with caring, it’s when people don’t that issues arise. But it seems to me you have a personal axe to grind with someone in Salinas. Something unjust must have happened to you. I checked the crime data in Florida. As I mentioned in a post from yesterday, you have cities equally as dangerous and the murder rate in Homestead is just as high as in Salinas.

• Joanna Greenshields February 16, 2017, 10:56 pm

Of course I have a problem with people getting killed. If kids were shooting each other in Carmel, they would have called in The National Guard and put the City on lockdown.

• Neil February 16, 2017, 10:59 pm

If Salinas was connected to a inner city there would be nothing to talk about.

• Royal Calkins February 16, 2017, 11:01 pm

Proprietor’s Note: I deleted several comments here that had nothing to do with anything, and some responses that would have made no sense. Here’s a recap of what you missed: There is quite a bit of violence in Salinas. Really? Yeah, really.

• Joanna Greenshields February 16, 2017, 11:05 pm

David, get over yourself. Nobody was chastising Neil. If you had spent a minute or two reading my posts to Neil today and yesterday, you wouldn’t have incorrectly assumed I hadn’t already asked Neil why he was upset. And as of 2015, Salinas only had a population of approximately 158,000, give or take a few.

• Neil February 16, 2017, 11:14 pm

That is a fair assumption royal. On that note I am going to bed.

• Jeanne Turner February 17, 2017, 11:18 am

I’m really sorry I missed this whole conversation because I never got to agree or disagree with anybody.

• M. Hill February 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Eric, I thought the tax returns were kept under wraps to hide massive debt or illegal activity difficult to spot. This Emperor has no clothes. I don’t think a Clinton or Bush an answer. Republicans running against Trump were knocked down like bowling pins. They never defended one another, hoping they were left alone and left standing; and then it was their turn. If T could so easily bump those in the running, perhaps there was not a true leader in the mix. I believe much of what Bernie said was from the heart, not ego, not to enrich or make a name for himself but true concern for the country.

• Eric Petersen February 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Just my theory, having seen situations like that, albeit far smaller. But the Internal Revenue Service has no restrictions on releasing your own information, audit or not. The Internal Revenue Service DOES have major restrictions on them releasing information, except in very limited and legally defined circumstances; illegal disclosure is not just a firing offense but can be prosecuted (and does prosecute).

Back to Trump, my theory might not be correct, and there are others, but I would really like to see what could be found in his returns.

• Eric Petersen February 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Royal, it looks like you have added spell check, THANK YOU!

• bill leone February 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
    • Brian Higgins February 17, 2017, 5:27 pm

Thanks… Just let me know when you have a source for:

• James Toy February 18, 2017, 1:21 am

I expect one of the following to happen before Summer is over. Maybe even before Summer.

1. Trump resigns Sarah Palin style. He’ll say he finished the job he started and it’s time to move on.

2. Trump is impeached for some reason relating to Russia.

3. Trump is declared incompetent and removed in accord with the 25th Amendment. The reasons should be obvious by now, but for his cabinet it will take a few more months to sink in.

• Eric Petersen February 18, 2017, 7:08 am

My expectation is that Trump will be impeached as soon as the Republicans determine that he is a liability. After all, Pence is one of their own — and is likely to be far more effective with their agenda.

• Joanna Greenshields February 20, 2017, 10:05 pm

I think you have the gift of prophecy Mr. Toy!

• bill leone February 18, 2017, 11:07 am

….or The Pimp President becomes Preside For Life, as is his friend Vladimir.

• Dan Turner February 19, 2017, 12:09 pm

Now, now, let’s ease up on the Russophobia. Putin isn’t pres for life. As I understand it, you can only be pres for 2 terms in Russia and then you have to take a break for one term. And, if they change their constitution and it allows him to be elected as often as the Russian people want, as would be their democratic prerogative, there is nothing wrong w/that. If FDR had lived to be 100, I would have voted for him forever as opposed to these other turkeys we’ve had for pres.

• PT Caffey February 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Russia is not a democracy, and any prospects in that direction likely perished along with Boris Nemtsov.

• Neil February 19, 2017, 12:19 pm

I predict that maybe my healthcare options get better with Mr Trump and the economy has a good chance to recover from 8 years of Obama. I believe that moving forward if trump does a good job many people on this forum will never cut him any slack and will always try to undermine his presidency.

• bill leone February 19, 2017, 11:19 pm

Dan, Where did you get the idea there were Democratic Elections in Russia?

• bill leone February 19, 2017, 11:31 pm

The Christian Science Monitor has been viewed as the most objective newspaper in America.
    This is what was reported as the difference between the immigration policy of President Obama
    & the immigration policy of the Pimp President:

• bill leone February 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

The country with the Best care in the World, as rated by the World Health Organization, is France;
    they get the Best Health Care, for the most people, at the lowest cost. That system is what most Conservatives call “Socialized Medicine.” One of the Worst Health Care systems in the World is right here in the USA; it is rated with many undeveloped countries, like Bangladesh. Our Health Care System is run by Insurance, Drug, & Medical Equipment companies. And, it is Not going to get better, it is going to get much worse under the Pimp President & his accomplices in the GOP.

If you think (or vote) otherwise, you are terribly ill-informed, & are working against your own interests. Perhaps the Pimp President’s apologists can explain why that would be a Good Thing.

• Brian Higgins February 22, 2017, 1:57 pm

Any update yet on ICE patrolling Salinas schools yet, Bill?

• bill hood February 22, 2017, 11:07 pm

58 comments from about 10 people. A little in a blog is better than a lot.

• bill leone February 24, 2017, 1:05 pm

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have the address & phone number, if you are so inclined to follow up on your promise to defend the children (who are American Citizens) of parents who are threatened with deportation: Oasis Charter School, 1135 Westridge Parkway, Salinas, Ca93907, 831-424 9003.
    You might also check what’s going on in Santa Cruz, where the local Police Department has refused to cooperate with ICE Officials, due to the fact that federal immigration officials lied to them about rounding up Only gang members & criminals. Also, you might want to check out the recently installed placards at MPC, which declare the campus police, by order of the MPC Board of Trustees, will refuse to cooperate with ICE Officials in the identification, tracking &/or rounding up of suspected undocumented immigrants.
    You have a Lot of work cut out for you!
    In my opinion, many more people, including Conservatives, will follow in the footsteps of Caitlyn Jenner, who was SO surprised, & expressed outrage, that the Pimp President would roll back the federal protection of transgender citizens, who wished to use the bathroom of their choice. Just wait until they repeal the ACA, cut off funding Planned Parenthood, Suppress Voting Rights, cut off funding for Public Radio & TV, & shut down a few newspapers, like the NYT.
    As I wrote just after the Presidential Election: For every action there is an opposite but equal reaction. (Isaac Newton).