Vote today or the dirty tricksters win again

Dirty water in old concrete swimming pool

Here’s what I think of when I think about the Donohue campaign strategy: Dirty pool

This is for voters who need one last bit of motivation to get to the polls today and to remind your friends and neighbors to do the same. I’m  aiming it at Jane Parker supporters in District 4 but the message also works well for Mary Adams supporters in District 5.

On Monday, the Dennis Donohue campaign sent emails out to voters accusing Parker, the incumbent, of running an ugly campaign. Yes, she did go negative with critical, and accurate, mailers challenging his silly assertion that he was a successful crime fighter while he was mayor of Salinas. He did put considerable time and energy into Salinas’ crime issues but he certainly didn’t solve them as his campaign literature proclaims.

Parker was punching back, relatively gently and absolutely fairly, after Donohue had hit her with a barrage of false accusations to the effect that she had opposed the Veterans Cemetery at Fort Ord and is anti-veteran. It was one of the great local examples of deceptive, below-the-belt campaigning.

Yet on Monday, Donohue shared his reflections thusly:

“Election Day is tomorrow, and I wanted to take a moment to reflect upon recent ugliness the campaign has endured. It’s unfortunate how normal it has become for campaigns to go negative. Negativity distracts and muddies situations so it’s difficult to distinguish between a horrible personal attack (like being compared to Donald Trump) and a legitimate concern over a candidate’s ethics and moral compass.

“You and your neighbors I am sure have received countless attack mailers from Jane Parker. These personal and schoolyard antics are similar to how a bully behaves. And like any bully Jane is using her attacks to hide and distract us from who she is.”

Wow. I mean Wow! Dennis Donohue calling Jane Parker a bully! I guess that if you’re going to use the big lie technique, you take it all the way.

In District 5, incumbent Dave Potter took a similar tack against Mary Adams, accusing her of lying about his removal from the Coastal Commission. He was, in fact, refused another term because of his repeatedly pro-development votes and his horrible standing with environmental groups but he claims that isn’t so. He had considerable help from Carmel Pine Cone Publisher Paul Miller, who produced two stories in the news section and two editorials calling Adams a liar based on manufactured evidence. It was a shameful performance politically and journalistically.

Unless Parker and Adams win today, the take-away will be another reminder that dirty pool pays off even in a place like Monterey County with an enlightened and engaged electorate. We learned that when Cal Am crafted a campaign of nonsense to beat back a public takeover vote and when the backers of Monterey Downs whipped up some deceptive nonsense of their own to prevail in a ballot measure intended to stop the misguided project. Money wins, especially when it is used to manufacture and distribute a bogus product.

Anyway, back to the point. Don’t believe a word from Donohue and Potter. Get out and vote and take your neighbors with you. Voters say that politics and elections should be about character. Let’s prove it.

• Paul Tsai June 7, 2016, 10:13 am

I’m terribly disappointed that Donohue has taken the political atmosphere of our district into ugly territory. His money trail does not reassure me that he will represent the interests of the broad citizenry.

Sadly, he’s outspent Parker by almost 2-to-1. I’ll be watching the election results with a lot of anxiety.

• MacGregor Eddy June 7, 2016, 10:15 am

” unless Potter and Adams win today….” you say in you second to last paragraph, and it does not make sense.

• Terri Larson June 7, 2016, 5:48 pm

He DID say Parker👍

• Tracey June 7, 2016, 10:47 am

I think he means “Parker”

• John Pearse June 7, 2016, 11:04 am

PARKER and Adams makes a whole lot of sense!

• David Spiselman, writing as DS Kane June 7, 2016, 11:37 am

I’ve closely followed this election, and I’m voting for Dennis Donahue.

• Helga Fellay June 7, 2016, 12:10 pm

“even in a place like Monterey County with an enlightened and engaged electorate” ????????????
    I have lived here since 1976 and am still looking for more of the “enlightened and engaged.” True, there is a small pocket of people I have been fortunate to meet who fit this description, but talk about a minority in a county the size of MoCo. One of us needs to get out more, Royal, and I am not sure whether it’s you or me.

• Paul Tsai June 7, 2016, 12:37 pm

I’m with Helga on this.

You run into the enlightened and engaged (E&Es?) mostly at action committee meetings or fundraisers.

Everywhere else, people vote based on things like how nice your election materials look, whether they saw you on television in a slick production, whether your name is easy to remember, whether you regularly attended of their community functions, and things like that.

• Frank Lambert June 7, 2016, 12:47 pm

I’m with Helga on this too, Paul.
      For our District, we voted for Jane Parker this morning, and I hope the voters in Mary Adams District vote her in.

I also vote for fellow working-class candidate for Congress, Joe Williams.
      joewilliams4congress.com

• david fairhurst June 7, 2016, 1:55 pm

I too agree with you Royal. I too think all of us (Progressives to Neo-Cons, women, children and men, along with every pigment color of the skin) will suffer without the election of both Parker and Adams. Shouldn’t it be simple? Who wants to serve the for the public good and who wants it for themselves. (Is that Dennis next to Anna in an old High School Yearbook photo, as seen on TV?)
    The “bad, bad, bad” will engage in an old style of deplorable politics, attack first and when the other side responds, feign the hurt and then claim the “high road”. They will use their political power hack friends (and provide favors, at public cost) for the money and favorable “press”, as both Potter and Donahue have received.
    You can see how recently in National politics a lot of stones being throw by people living in glass houses and yes those too engaged in ‘Trump’ bashing. Dislike Donald for his politics (or his hair) but don’t make stuff up or blame him for the violence from those that oppose him. There aren’t a lot of innocent people on either side. Dare to speak out against “La Raza” and see what happens. Heck even at the State level there is an attempt now to imprison and punish people for “disagreeing” with the claim of “Climate Change” or “Carbon Credits” or to deny it’s cause by only human action. We even now have “Presidential bathroom decrees” to remove gender from our vocabulary.
    Truth and reason has suffered for many years now and many are wondering what happened to our principals, morals and the honesty and integrity in our government, it’s officials and the supposed media outlets, from FOX to CBS, Newsprint to Internet, “voters guides” to “voter mailings” and ads.
    “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” George Orwell. Careful Royal or you too may be labeled as a “revolutionary” and non compliant (or at least a gadfly malcontent).

• Royal Calkins June 7, 2016, 2:12 pm

Very sorry about writing Potter when I meant Parker, but i greatly appreciate the number of people who posted comments about the error, sent emails and phone messages. Dumb error but, I must admit, I have done worse.

• Eric Petersen June 7, 2016, 3:16 pm

At Supervisors this morning, Hans Jongens used Public Comments to go off on Dennis, mentioning the Green Vehicles fiasco as well as other things. It will be available on the video of the meeting.

Hans also complained about the number of election commercials on televisoin, ignoring my simple solution (get rid of the televison set).

• bill leone June 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Keep in mind, when you have a propaganda machine churning out BS regarding local & national politics, & I include the Monterey Herald, the Carmel Pine Cone, & to some degree the Weakly, not
    to mention the constant river of flatulence on talk radio & Fox news tv, it is no mystery why our
    community is hoodwinked by Corporate Carpet Baggers: Dirty Pool, Dirty Tricks, & Demagoguery.

bill leone (I had the distinct pleasure of voting for myself today!
    Helen, I also voted for you. Two of six Progressive Candidates for Monterey County Democratic Central Committee.)

• James Toy June 7, 2016, 5:25 pm

Oh, boy. That quote from Donohue wins the Donald Trump quotation lookalike contest! First he attacked Parker with a blatant lie, then he claims to be the innocent victim of just such an attack. That’s right out of the Trump play book.

As for Adams’ attack on Potter, I’m a bit more sympathetic with Potter. Adams’ so-called “Potter Facts” website, with its own domain, is horribly one-sided. True, Potter has done some questionable things, but he’s also done some good things, too, like helping to kill the destructive Hatton Canyon Freeway. A truly factual website wouldn’t have omitted the good he has done. Had Adams incorporated her “Potter Facts” into her own campaign website, that would have been fine and even expected. But to build an entire website “about” Potter based solely on his shortcomings while ignoring his positive contributions is dishonesty by omission. It’s more subtle than blatant lying, but it is deceptive just the same.

• bill leone June 11, 2016, 1:11 pm

James, you are Toying with us yet again. You expected Mary Adams to list all the “good things”
    Mr. P has done for Monterey County in her political campaign, & because she did not, you consider
    her to be dishonest. That’s hilarious, because I did not read, hear or view Any mention of the “good
    things” Mary Adams has done for the community in Mr. P’s campaign propaganda….financed incidentally by Dark Money, courtesy of Chevron, Inc. I contend your loyalty to Mr. P is misled.